As was announced during our plenaries in Berlin last week, IUGG is in the process of establishing a bank account for all its associations and their commissions to use, which they hope to have operational by January 2024.
As you will recall, we approved changes to the Terms Of Reference in 2019 that included membership fees (Please see the text below for the exact wording).
The idea for membership fees was anticipated to be used for, but not limited to:
• Travel support for the FDSN Executive committee members, when needed, to travel to meetings of the FDSN
• Support for needed software initiatives that have been approved by the FDSN Working Groups and by the Executive Committee. Examples of software projects that might receive support include the development of new software to implement FDSN capabilities or services
• Cost matching support for training workshops conducted on behalf of the FDSN.
• Support for specific products such as documentation of FDSN Standards or FDSN Services.
• Services of companies or consultants that have contracted with FDSN to perform specific tasks
We will keep you posted on the developments of the IUGG banking details and the implementation of the membership fees, as and when they are known to us.
"Membership in the FDSN is open to national and international organisations committed to both the development and operation of the broad-band digital networks as well as organisations involved in management of data from digital seismograph networks consistent with the goals of the Federation. It is required that each network member will contribute digital waveform data, preferably in real time, from a subset of stations in their network to a data center participating in the FDSN Federated Data Center system.
Participation in the FDSN is one of four defined types:
-Supporting Membership. Supporting membership is open to any network or Data Center that supports the goals of the FDSN and contributes at least $5,000 per year in dues to the FDSN to support the activities and developments of the FDSN.
-Contributing Membership: Contributing membership is open to any network or Data Center that meets the goals of the FDSN and contributes at $1,000 per year in dues to the FDSN to support the activities and developments of the FDSN.
-Participating Membership: Participating membership is open to any network that meets the goals of the FDSN.
-Sponsors: Sponsors may be either for profit corporations providing financial or in kind support for FDSN activities or government agencies that provide financial support for key activities undertaken by the FDSN, such as FDSN Data Workshops.
Membership fees are due by January 31 of each year.
FDSN Voting on Non-Financial Matters
- Concerning all non-financial recommendations made and actions to be taken, each steering committee member will have one vote, regardless of their membership category.
FDSN Voting on Financial Matters
- Concerning all FDSN matters of a financial nature including approval of the annual FDSN budget, specific expenditures for which the steering committee might wish to see made, and any other items having a financial impact, voting will be as follows:
- Supporting Members of the FDSN will have six votes,
- Contributing Members of the FDSN will have two votes,
- Participating members of the FDSN will have one vote."